WHO ARE WE?
- An association of people with intellectual and multiple disabilities, their families and other professionals.
- A national non-governmental organisation active at national, regional and local levels. We have currently more than 8000 members.
- An organisation defending the rights and interests of people with intellectual or multiple disabilities and their families.
WHAT IS OUR VISION?
- A society for all: People with intellectual disabilities and their families have the same opportunities as anyone else in the society.
WHAT ARE THE VALUES, WE ARE PROMOTING?
- People with intellectual disabilities are equal citizens of the Czech Republic. They have the right to be included in the society, no matter how disabled they are.
- People with disabilities have opportunities to live independently in the community.
- We provide care for people with intellectual disabilities, but also mainly support, to facilitate their process of decision, to help them to develop their talents and aptitudes.
- Parents and friends of people with intellectual disabilities, thanks to their personal experiences, are working hand in hand with professionals to develop new methods to better support people with intellectual disabilities.
WHAT ARE OUR ACTIVITIES?
- We bring the issue of intellectual disability to the public and we combat prejudices against and preconceived ideas about people with intellectual disabilities.
- We provide different kinds of social services.
- We support the deinstitutionalisation process and the development of community-based services.
- We offer life-long learning education and other social and educational activities for people with intellectual disabilities, parents, professionals and the mainstream population.
- We transpose important information into easy-to-read language for people with intellectual disabilities to allow them to access this information.
- We support the development of the self-advocacy movement (people with intellectual disabilities who are speaking for themselves)
- We comment the laws influencing the life of people with intellectual disabilities.
- We lobby for the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities, adopted in 2006 (for example the reform of the system of guardianship, the right to inclusive education...)
With the objective to improve the life of citizens with intellectual disabilities living in their families or in social and educative services facilities.